Is your Maytag range, stove or oven broken? Not heating well? Do you need parts?
RepairClinic.com can assist you in properly diagnosing your Maytag range, stove or oven for electrical, gas,
hardware, or other problems. If your oven is broken, they will help you find a part with their powerful appliance part search tool, the PartDetective.
Do you want to spruce up or update your old Maytag oven? Need knobs, drip pans, or other accessories?
If you need accessories, cleaners, paint, or anything else, visit www.repairclinic.com They have everything you need for your Maytag appliance.
Different Types of Maytag Ranges, Stoves, Ovens
Maytag ranges, stoves and ovens come in a number of different types and styles.
|Double Electric Built-In Oven
||Single Electric Built-In Oven
||Freestanding Electric Range
|Slide-In Electric Range
||Slide-In Gas Range
||Built-In Microwave/Oven Combination
||Drop-In Electric Range
How Maytag Ranges, Stoves, Ovens Work
Combination ranges are stoves that have both the surface burners and an oven. An overview of the combination appliances provides information on both cooking surfaces and ovens. To understand how they work, let's look at the following key areas for both electric and gas options.
The Control Panel
Because there are so many variations of range and stove combinations, each control panel will be somewhat different but will have some or a combination of the following components:
- Thermostat - regulates the temperature of the oven by working in conjunction with a long copper tube. This copper tube relays the information back to the thermostat by heating up or cooling down. Another type of thermostat is an electronic or mechanical type that has a probe attached to a small printed circuit board behind the oven knob. The thermostat adjusts the temperature when the signals are received from the probe to the knob.
- Clock - there are mechanical and electronic clocks. Usually there are three dials on a mechanical clock - start and stop time dials, and the clock dial. For timed cooking and self-cleaning operations use the start and stop dials. The electronic clocks aren't usually serviceable and need to be replaced if they stop working.
- Electronic keypad - Some ranges or ovens have a keypad for setting the oven, broiler, timed bake, and self-cleaning times and temperatures. These keypads can't be serviced and need to be replaced when they fail.
- Selector switch for bake/broil/timed bake, etc. - Electric and gas ranges and ovens have at least one control switch for the oven or broiler. On some units, this can be the same switch as the thermostat; on others it can be a separate switch. If it is a separate switch, it operates in conjunction with the thermostat. You can set the thermostat to the cooking temperature desired and set the selector switch to allow Bake, Broil, Timed Bake, and so on.
- Light switches - Many stoves or ovens have a light in the oven. This light is operated by a switch located in the door frame of the oven. Other stoves have a light above the range that is operated by a switch located in the control panel.
- Surface burner switches - These switches operate like regular dimmer switches. By regulating the amount of electricity flowing through the switch to the burner they allow you to adjust the temperature setting.
- Self-cleaning buttons or switches - In addition to the clock controls for the self-cleaning features, your oven might have other related devices. It could have a door lock button or switch which is a separate switch to toggle between self-clean and normal bake, etc.
- Convection oven components - Convection ovens use a fan to circulate the air and provide even temperatures through the oven, allowing food to cook evenly and quickly. You can enable or disable the convection cooking option by a switch on the control panel.
- Electric: Usually there are coils on top of the stove for the cook top. These coils have a wire inside them that heats up when electricity is applied. This action heats up the coil and causes it to glow. Burners known as "euro burners" get just as hot as their counterparts, but they do not glow. Euro burners are smooth, solid, and 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Each has an internal coil in its center and has no moving parts. "Smoothtop" systems are the kind of stoves that have the burners integrated into the top. These burners are concealed under the top but otherwise work much the same way as the coil type systems.
- A Gas: All gas range top burners use a similar system of gas delivery. There is one control knob for each burner. It is attached to a small gas valve that is mounted to a main gas line. When the valve is turned, the gas flows through the valve into a "venturi" tube, which mixes the gas with air and creates the proper mix for combustion. The standing pilot light or the igniter ignites the mixture when it flows into the burner itself. The size of the flame is regulated by adjusting the burner control knob and this restricts the amount of gas flowing through the valve.
The Area Beneath the Cooktop
- Electric: Many cooktops with coil burners let you raise the entire cooktop when they need to be cleaned and serviced. The model and serial number tag for the appliance are also located beneath the cooktop.
- A Gas: Many cooktops that have non-sealed gas burners let you raise the cooktop when they need to be cleaned and serviced. The individual burner gas valves and ignition components may be located here also. This is where the the model and serial number tags are also found.
The Area Behind the Broiler Drawer
The safety valve, spark igniter, fuse, and other components are often located in this area on gas ovens.
The Back of the Unit
Much of the wiring for electric and gas ranges or ovens is located on the back of the appliances. The steel panels that cover the wiring protect you from danger and the wiring from damage. A number of other components - such as relays, self-cleaning switches, transformers, and terminal blocks - are also behind the protective back panels.
Keeping Your Maytag Range, Stove and Oven Well-Maintained
- Control panel - Most range or oven control panels are made of glass and/or painted metal. Non-abrasive cleaners are safe on these surfaces.
Note: Don't spray cleaners directly onto the control panel; put some cleaner on a soft, damp rag, then wipe the surface.
- Cooktop - Any porcelain cooktop can be cleaned with a non-abrasive cleanser. RepairClinic.com can provide all the cleansers and accessories you might need for your cooking appliances.
- Burner drip pans (bowls) - Drip pans or bowls (beneath the grates on a gas stove or range and beneath the heating element on an electric stove or range) usually need to be replaced every 2 to 3 years. Once they are stained, it is usually not possible to clean them completely, and this might affect the stove's cooking efficiency.
- Knob care - It is safe to clean the knobs on your range or oven with a little dish detergent and a damp rag. If the numbers or lettering have worn away, though, you may need to replace the knobs.
- Light bulbs - It is easy to replace the light bulb(s) in your maytag range or oven, though you may need to remove a glass covering or dome to reach it. Most interior oven lights require a universal 40 watt appliance bulb.
- Oven - Consult your owner's manual for instructions on how to use the self-cleaning feature on your oven. The self-cleaning feature is activated by heating the interior of the oven to a temperature so hot that it incinerates the residue inside the oven. Usually, it is not a good idea to clean the interior of a self-cleaning oven with a spray cleaner; however, refer to your owner's manual or contact the manufacturer of your oven to be certain. To clean a non-self-cleaning oven, use one of the many oven cleaners that are available at various stores.
- Burner Elements - Heating elements will eventually burn out. Sometimes, when this happens, you can see that the coil burns in two, or blisters and bubbles. Once your heating element burns out, you have to replace it because they are not repairable. It is advisable to change the infinite switch that controls it at the same time. Replacement parts can be found at RepairClinic.com.